Tuesday, August 17, 2010

037: Life in the shallows

In the shallows, writhing,
in the shade of concrete reefs,
fish colonies migrate
in clockwork cycles,
dead hand precision
beneath uncaring gaze,
salty, liquid today,
the dance of anemones reflects
the demons' tar,
the dark side of mirrors.

Tomorrow, the dawn of triumph
will take us all away
into the blue,
yet the flame's still unconsummed
the epic of my pitch,
unwritten.
Fish swirl around in steel tornadoes,
but I cannot give birth
to so needed new words
for a cardiac language.

Pearl fishers from the other side
observe seconds
of these fleeting lives,
another fold
in the same veil;
and the doused embers are voiceless
as lightning sparks run
through Ranvier nodes,
on highways of grey,
never far enough.

Words fail again
to redeem the mute,
before the reach of dreams,
the thrust of exile, when gills unbreathe,
so I'll paint the blue
with burning oil
and elect silence
as my new tongue;
as long as these fibers pump and grind
I know I'll never die.

3 comments: