Friday, April 30, 2010

028: The flower thief

With trembling hands on the viscid scape,
to never spoil a precious petal,
pickpocketing sights in subway cars to relive,
to recreate card chapels of sincere prayer,
of unbecoming words trepid of loss.
Modulate memories in gold and black like she was,
thoughts to fornicate in sagging anthills,
escalade in grasshops a private mountain
straying the escarpment of a lost Naraka
whence cells crystallize in human tidbits to be
a feeble abode of instinct and love
and culled fear, skulking in cherry groves.

Here, a collection of coincidences
ascribed to paths of stars and cold bodies,
in a neonate game, older than my forefathers;
here, a bardo trap, a keep of comforts
of empty presents from a wishlist in tar
that spells like a last will protruding
through cracks in my undying joy.
Within gardens of evil and hope,
roots of rage reel to acquire frail flowers,
pollen of pictures in blood ringing
on the limbs of butterflies washed in sunfire.
Test the finites of absolution, alpha and omega
in one single consummate image, nerve induced
through the pupil of the third eye.

5 comments:

  1. More than slightly elaborate, and more than slightly elsewhere! Very dense with enigmatic images.

    Do you read poetry in English? If so, what do you read?

    ReplyDelete
  2. David: Thank you very much. It is about/inspired by stuff from the real world, so to speak.

    I'm a bit behind with my reading, both in English and Romanian :D. But to make a short answer long :), aside from blogs, I've stumbled upon some poems by Poe and Emily Dickinson (I could still recite one of her poems that we had in our English textbook in high school), but mostly the lyrics of various bands (strange, I know) I came across through my obsession with music and usually, these grew to become favorites of mine. Some of the best, and in my opinion worthy of getting a spot in an anthology at the very least, lyricists would be Jon Chang of Discordance Axis/GridLink (just love his work), Mikael Stanne & Niklas Sundin of Dark Tranquillity (their older stuff, especially, impressed me deeply), Hreidmarr of Anorexia Nervosa (though he is at his best in French; also quoted a line of his in a poem on this blog), B. Cantat of Noir Desir (though again, he's at his best in his mother tongue), the guys in Slayer (since '86 they started writing lyrics that mostly had something to say and said it evocatively and literately) and others also..

    Also, my favorite poet of English language that I've never read would be Hart Crane, I'm obsessed with his poem 'The Moth that God Made Blind', on the strength of its title alone, but I can't find it anywhere online; it's becoming some sort of lyrical lost Grail of mine :D .

    Valerie: ..and thank you lots too, I'm glad you dig this one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hart Crane--I knew it! I read this poem and thought, "He sounds a little like Hart Crane." Just don't jump off a ship, okay?

    If you like Hart Crane and music, I recommend DYLAN THOMAS. Read him aloud.

    A couple of the lyricists you mentioned I've heard of, but most of them are new to me. I'll look for their work. Thanks for the list.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, I'm typing with a smile from ear to ear :D . I remembered I've read a poem or 2 by Hart and his style blew my head off. Still have to get my mitts (and brain) on 'The Moth'.

    I checked out a couple of poems by Thomas - excellent, thank you for pointing him out to me. His writing sounds indeed very musical. One that I found easily was 'Do not go gentle into that good night', gorgeous; funny thing that a band I dig, Anaal Nathrakh, had a song that referenced this poem, called 'Rage, rage against the dying of the light', I'd found out it was a line lifted from somewhere, but did not where from. (not coincidentially, their vocalist is a good lyricist, as evidenced from other projects, unfortunately AN don't publish their lyrics and his vocal style is not very comprehensive :D).

    Also, if you're interested, I've remembered some other lyricists/musicians that made a dent, so to speak, like Serj Tankian (much of his lyrics hide deeper and unexpected ideas), Joe Horvath of Circle of Dead Children (there's a deeper meaning to the moniker than punk/metal shock value), the guys in Meshuggah etc.

    ReplyDelete